Who We Are

Harrison Jordan practices Canadian cannabis law, with an emphasis on legal and regulatory matters related to the cannabis plant.

Who We Are 1

Harrison understands Canadian cannabis laws and regulations. He graduated from Osgoode Hall Law School, completed his articles at Canadian cannabis law firm Lewin & Sagara LLP and was called to the Ontario bar in 2018.

Business Law 2

Business Law

Incorporation, trademark and business documents with respect to Canadian cannabis companies.

Regulatory Law 3

Regulatory Law

We know cannabis regulations and understand the regulatory challenges facing licensed producers (LPs) of cannabis as well as pre-license applicants under the ACMPR and Cannabis Act.

Criminal Law 4

Criminal Law

Do your company’s planned activities constitute a prohibited criminal act under the law? We’ll advise you of the legal avenues, if available, to conduct your business.

Tax Law 5

Tax Law

Every commercial producer or packager of cannabis requires a “Cannabis Licence” from the Canadian Revenue Agency, which we can assist in obtaining.

Frequently Asked Questions

‘What is a “security clearance” and will I be able to obtain one?’

For those applying to Health Canada to cultivate, produce, process, package or sell cannabis, key personnel will need to obtain a “security clearance” from Health Canada. Get in touch with us today to determine if you will able to obtain security clearance and how to best structure your organization otherwise.

‘When marijuana is legal, can I produce and sell my cannabis product?’

That depends on what form of cannabis you want to produce and sell. Health Canada has opened access to approving products containing cannabis, including natural health products and veterinary health products. Get in touch with us today to see if we can start developing your project.

‘Can I start a private cannabis dispensary in Ontario?’

The answer to that is most likely – no. All recreational cannabis sales will be done through stores that will be controlled solely by the government under their Ontario Cannabis Store brand. The Ontario Cannabis Store is also operating the sole online marketplace for recreational cannabis in the province. This might change with the upcoming Doug Ford provincial government – so stay tuned.

‘I’ve been arrested for a marijuana offence under the Cannabis Act or Controlled Drugs and Substances Act. Can you help?’

We have worked with great criminal lawyers in the field who practice solely on cannabis matters. If we cannot help you with your matter, we will put you in t0uch with a lawyer that knows both criminal and cannabis law.

‘Do I need a license to cultivate, produce, or sell medical and non-medical cannabis?’

The license you will have to obtain depends on what step of the process you would like to take part in and whether it is for medical or non-medical purposes.

From our Blog

Here you can find some of our latest blog posts, written by lawyer Harrison Jordan.

Ontario AGCO Opens Up Retail Cannabis Lottery To 50 More Stores 6

Ontario AGCO Opens Up Retail Cannabis Lottery To 50 More Stores

Missed out on opening a legal cannabis retail dispensary in Ontario the first time around?

Today, July 3, 2019, the provincial government officially announced their plans to license an additional 50 cannabis retail stores in Ontario, including eight on First Nations reserves.

The province hopes these new stores will be open by October 1 2019, which once again means that stores will be under a time crunch to get built and launch once licensed.

There will be 7 stores in the East, 6 stores in the GTA, 13 in Toronto, 11 in West Region, and 5 in the North.  

Prospective store owners will need things from their bank: (i) a commitment to provide a $50,000 standby letter of credit and (ii) a letter of confirmation that you have the financial capacity to obtain $200,000 in cash or cash equivalents and that you  are in good standing.

In addition, applicants will need to confirm that they have secured a location and the type of arrangement (lease, rent, or purchase) will serve as the legal basis of occupation in October 2019.

Licensed producers and their affiliates will not be allowed to apply. While that rule was in place for the first lottery, producers and related companies found their way into the mix by licensing their brand names out to stores in ways that were compliant with the AGCO. No word yet on whether this type of arrangement would be allowed for the second lottery, but there does not appear to be explicit rules prohibiting it.

An interesting rule to the lottery that wasn’t found in the rules to the first lottery is that applicants must adhere to provincial disabilities accessibilities legislation, likely put in the rules after some locations in the first lottery were not wheelchair accessible.

Lottery applications will be accepted starting 12:01AM August 7 and ending 8pm on August 9. The lucky lottery winners will be selected on August 20. Like the first lottery, the fee to enter is only $75.

First Nations communities will also get the chance to have legal cannabis stores on reserves but won’t be subject to the rules. Eight of the 50 licenses set aside will be for applicants located, and they won’t be subject to lottery requirements – they will be awarded on a first-come first-served basis and the respective Band Council must ultimately approve the location.

I would be happy to assist you with your AGCO lottery application, and other related matters such as incorporation, trademark registration, and Standard Operating Procedures. In addition, I offer clients a free map-based tool that allows prospective applicants to conduct an initial cursory check to see if a location is close to a school, and thus ineligible for a location.

Ontario AGCO Opens Up Retail Cannabis Lottery To 50 More Stores 7

I’m a Toronto-based lawyer assisting small businesses with their cannabis retail application. Call me at 1-855-542-0529 or email me.

How To Become 1 Of the First 25 Legal Cannabis Retail Store Dispensaries in Ontario 9

How To Become 1 Of the First 25 Legal Cannabis Retail Store Dispensaries in Ontario

The Ontario government announced yesterday evening that applications for cannabis retail stores will be delayed to January 7, 2019. At that time, an “expression of interest” will be required from you instead of an application for a Retail Operator License or Retail Store Authorization. You will have until January 9, 2019 to submit. Ontario’s plan to allow an unlimited number of retail store applications has been put on hold. Only 25 will be selected for now.